In his attempt to backtrack on his first year in office, President Obama said;
“To close that credibility gap we must take action on both ends of Pennsylvania Avenue to end the outsized influence of lobbyists; to do our work openly; and to give our people the government they deserve.
“That’s what I came to Washington to do. That’s why – for the first time in history – my Administration posts our White House visitors online. And that’s why we’ve excluded lobbyists from policy-making jobs or seats on federal boards and commissions.”
As was the case with many things spoken last night, on this issue the President was once again talking out of both sides of his mouth.
Take for example the Deputy Defense Secretary, William Lynn. Deputy Secretary Lynn was a lobbyist for Ratheon, one of the nation’s largets defense contractors. Now I am not objecting to the Deputy’s abilities, knowledge or value in his position. For me, the fact tht he held a job which dealt with aspects of what he is now the Deputy Secretary of , indicates that he is experiencd. In this case with military hardware.
However; I am not the one standing before you trying to create other people for you to be angry at and blame, in this case lobbyists, and denying that one of those enemies you should be angry at is part of my Cabinet.
Maybe this explains why his national security policies are so weak. He put William Lynn in the Pentagon as Deputy Defense Secretary. Mr. Lynn was a lobbyist for Defense Contractor Ratheon. I guess the Deputy Defense Secretary is not a policy-making job.
But the problem is worse than just Deputy Secretary Lynn’s lobbyist history. Thanks to the people at Red State, the following list of other lobbyists turned members of the Administration was compiled:
- Eric Holder, Attorney General, was registered to lobby until 2004 on behalf of clients including Global Crossing, a bankrupt telecommunications firm .
- Tom Vilsack, Secretary of Agriculture, was registered to lobby as recently as last year on behalf of the National Education Association.
- William Corr, Deputy Health and Human Services Secretary, was registered to lobby until last year for the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, a non-profit that pushes to limit tobacco use.
- David Hayes, Deputy Interior Secretary, was registered to lobby until 2006 for clients, including the regional utility San Diego Gas & Electric.
- Mark Patterson, Chief of Staff to Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, was registered to lobby as recently as last year for financial giant Goldman Sachs.
- Ron Klain, Chief of Staff to Vice President Joe Biden, was registered to lobby until 2005 for clients, including the Coalition for Asbestos Resolution, U.S. Airways, Airborne Express and drug-maker ImClone.
- Mona Sutphen, Deputy White House Chief of Staff, was registered to lobby for clients, including Angliss International in 2003.
- Melody Barnes, Domestic Policy Council Director, lobbied in 2003 and 2004 for liberal advocacy groups, including the American Civil Liberties Union, the Leadership Conference on Civil Rights, the American Constitution Society and the Center for Reproductive Rights.
- Cecilia Munoz, White House Director of Intergovernmental Affairs, was a lobbyist as recently as last year for the National Council of La Raza, a Hispanic advocacy group.
- Patrick Gaspard, White House Political Affairs Director, was a lobbyist for the Service Employees International Union.
- Michael Strautmanis, Chief of Staff to the President’s Assistant for Intergovernmental Relations, lobbied for the American Association of Justice from 2001 until 2005.
Perhaps Presient Obama is not aware of everyone in his Administration. Maybe that is why he so convincingly stated that none of the above type of people were affiliatd with his Administration. If that’s the case, then we have a problem. A big problem. If the President doesn’t know the backgtrounds of those in his Administration, how confident could would be about those National Security background checks or future chcks on that TSA “No Fly List”.
For adll we know, Osama bin Laden is in the White House secretarial pool and the alert members of the White House haven’t even notced that women in the pink polka dress with a long grey beard and turbn on her head.
Either way there is a problem.
If the President and the extensive staff that prepares his State of the Union Address don’t know who is in the Administration and Cabinet than they are inept and undeserving of their jobs. If this was known, the as Joe Wilson once pointed out…………….the President is a liar.